Do you feel there’s something wrong with your roof’s gutter system? Do you suspect clogged gutters or downspouts? If the answer is yes, then you need to find the damage and fix it as soon as possible because your roof’s gutter system is an essential safety component for your home.
Gutters and downspouts protect your home’s landscaping and foundation from severe water damage. They also keep rainwater from entering through windows, gates, and soffit vents. When you have overflowing gutters or leaking downspouts, it’s a sure thing that they won’t work properly. You must address these issues immediately before it’s too late.
Here’s what you need to do when you have clogged gutters, and make sure it never happens again.
Signs Your Gutters Are Clogged Or Leaking
You should start by observing the water flow and other signs around the house. This will help you understand which part of your gutter system has issues– The gutter panels on the roof or the downspouts along the exterior walls. Sometimes, both these parts can be clogged!
If you see rainwater overflowing from the edges of the gutters, it means that there is debris, leaves, or other elements stuck inside the gutters. You may also see it from below– some leaves or twigs coming out of the gutters.
When rainwater is not coming down properly out of the downspouts, it means they are clogged. You should look at the point where the downspouts meet the gutters. If rainwater is overflowing from that area, it means that the downspouts are completely clogged.
If you live in a state where the weather is unpredictable, you must make it a priority to get your gutters cleaned. If it starts raining at midnight, you won’t be able to stop the damage, and cleaning the gutters at night is not an option. To avoid getting into these circumstances, the first thing you should do is schedule a gutter cleaning service– they are usually not expensive.
Who Cleans Gutters And Downspouts?
Roofing and gutter contractors offer professional gutter cleaning services. If you are thinking about doing it yourself or calling your handyman for the job, it’s essential to understand why everyone suggests against it.
- Since rain gutters are at the top of your home, there is a chance of falling and slipping accidents while cleaning gutters if you are not a professional. That’s why professionals advise homeowners against it.
- Gutters that were dirty and untouched for a long time are most likely to be infested with pests or insects. Also, it’s common for gutters to develop rust, sharp edges, or broken sections without proper maintenance.
- It takes several hours for an individual to clean gutters on a standard US home. Whereas the professionals who do this every week can finish the job correctly within 30-60 minutes.
- When you do things the right way, it also aids in the approval of your insurance claims.
It’s much more convenient and cost-effective to call a local roofing contractor for gutter cleaning services. Make sure they have the right qualifications and a good reputation.
If you live in Wisconsin, our experts at BRH Enterprises can help you. We will also inform you about the condition of your gutter system so you are aware of any other issues that need urgent attention.
But before you call anyone, it’s better to know what to expect. It would be best if you also spot some common signs of gutter damage yourself.
Signs Of Damage To The Gutter System
Leaking gutters and downspouts are the first sign of damage. If you spot rainwater dripping down from the gutters directly on the ground, there’s an issue. Here are some more issues to look for:
- Water has been leaking for a long time if you see green or black spots near the downspouts or on the exterior walls.
- Check if the rain gutters are sagging from the roof, and look for gaps between the panels. If you spot such issues, your gutters are leaking and need repair.
- Be sure to check for loose nails, cracks, and holes on the downspouts as well. These can cause water pressure to build up in the gutter system, which leads it to fall apart faster than usual.
- If you spot discoloration or chipping paint on your home’s siding, this also indicates water damage because of leaking or failed gutters. In this situation, it’s always wise to look for siding and gutter repair services. If you spot more issues with other roof components, such as soffit and fascia, it will be better to call your roofing company for a complete roof inspection– which we offer for free to homeowners in Wisconsin.
If you notice any of these signs, it’s best to call for gutter repair services as soon as possible. The longer you wait to fix the gutters, the faster they deteriorate– until they break apart and you need new gutters.
You can finally sit back and relax after the cleaning or repairs are done. Make sure you take proper care of your gutter system this time to avoid unexpected issues and expenses. To help you, our experts have also shared some essential tips on how to prevent clogged gutters and downspouts.
Expert Tips To Prevent Clogged Gutter And Downspouts
Most homeowners don’t know that some special services and tools can help them save money and avoid gutter clogs and resulting issues down the road. There are two simple and economical methods to keep your gutters up and running all the time– regular maintenance and permanent protection.
Since gutters are always exposed, you must make sure that they are clean and free from damage. You can do it by getting a professional inspection and cleaning once a year and after a stormy event.
Permanent Gutter Protection
It’s very helpful to install drainage accessories such as gutter guards and downspout screens. They keep debris and other things out of your gutter system, so they only catch water and drain it effectively. Both these protection accessories prevent clogging and overflowing.
For more information, you can read our detailed blog, where we share 7 tips to maintain your gutters. We understand you may have more questions about clogged gutters and the solutions. So if you need professional assistance, you can rely on BRH Enterprises.
Need Help With Clogged Gutters?
If you are looking for someone to clean clogged gutters and downspouts, you can rely on our team at BRH Enterprises. Our gutter specialists know exactly what to do and how to do it. We have the best equipment and safety standards, and we aim to offer permanent solutions at fair prices.
If you need help with your gutter system, call us at (920) 249-4228. We’ve been helping homeowners in Mayville, WI., and the surrounding towns for years. We will be happy to offer you a free consultation and estimate.