Roof replacement is a complex technical job, but you can’t leave everything to the professionals. There are some crucial things that you must do as a homeowner before you replace your roof. You must know exactly what you’re getting into and have the right information beforehand.
This guide compiles critical steps that every homeowner should take before they choose to replace their roof- from choosing the right roofing company to learning about essential roof components. After reading this article, you may find it much easier to make the right decisions about your roof.
Below are 7 things that you must do before you begin your roof replacement project.
7 Things To Do Before You Replace Your Roof
While roofing experts have the necessary skills, tools, and licenses, some homeowners may feel they can replace roofs on their own. But the truth is, you won’t be saving any money by taking everything into your hands. It can also be a serious risk for you and your family if something goes wrong. You must understand that there are roofing companies that offer reasonable prices and do an excellent job. So the first thing you must do is find a reliable roofing contractor who can replace your roof.
Choose A Local Roofing Company
When hiring a roofing contractor, it’s essential to choose a company that does everything legally and honestly. They should be licensed and insured to work in your area.
- You can look them up on Directorii to see if they have a bond against any liabilities, and to ensure that your money is safe if something goes wrong.
- Check if they have a good reputation and excellent track record. The best way to do this is to read their ratings and reviews on Google and Better Business Bureau.
- You may also ask your neighbors and friends if they know someone who can replace your roof correctly. When researching your potential contractors, ask them for references from past clients. If these people seem happy with the work, then it’s likely you’ll be satisfied as well.
If you live near Mayville, WI, you can contact our team at BRH Enterprises for a free consultation on roof replacement. Our team has years of experience in the roofing industry, and we would be happy to discuss your project with you.
Research Different Roof Components
Before you decide on a roofing contractor and roofing material, you need to know what components make up a pitched roof and why you need them. Sometimes, people may refuse some vital roof components just to save a little extra money.
- It is essential to learn how the components of a pitched roof work together and the different materials that make them up.
- This will help you pick from a range of sturdy, affordable, appealing, and long-lasting options.
- You can also find out which accessories you can afford to protect your home further. After you have completed your research, you can replace your roof with full confidence.
Ask How Much Time They Will Take
One of the most important things to know is how long the process will take. Depending on which of these three steps you choose, it can take anywhere from a few days to a month for your roof replacement project to be completed.
- On average, a roof inspection takes a few hours, and the professionals will give you a report containing the current condition of your roof and recommendations about what to do next.
- If you decide to replace your roof, the paperwork, discussions, and insurance claims may take up to a week. Sometimes, insurance companies may take a few days to process your claim, so it is best to choose a roofing contractor who can also guide you in communicating with the insurance adjuster.
- After that, it takes them a few hours to remove the old roofing material and discard the waste. The installation also takes a few more hours. Once they replace your roof, it may take another 30-60 minutes for the cleanup.
Depending on your project, it may take a few days or more to completely install a new roof.
Confirm Pre And Post-Installation Services
Before you sign any papers, it’s critical to confirm that you’ve got your questions answered. This includes how the company will handle any prep work and clean-up, as well as the removal of the old roof. While this may not be something that comes to mind immediately, it is critical to include it in a contract.
- Ask your roofing company if they will tarp your yard and lawn so that your landscaping isn’t ruined.
- The last thing you want is to see your new roof leaking or find yourself in a position where you have to clean and dump everything yourself.
- Scrap materials like chipping wood, screws, nails, and broken glass are very dangerous for family members, especially when kids run around carefree through the lawn or yard.
- Ask your roofing company about the plan to clean the place up and dump the old roofing material. For that, you may need to talk to the project manager in person.
Meet Your Roofing Professionals In Person
As a homeowner, when you replace your roof, you will definitely feel better after meeting with the team in person- the project manager or roofing contractors. This will help you get a sense of the company, work ethic, and friendliness. Asking questions is key: How long have you been in business? Who is the owner? Do you have any references from past customers? It’s even better if they have everything in place on their website or portfolio, and if they offer you an estimate.
Get A Written Estimate
Never forget to get the estimate in writing. You should be able to see the entire cost of your roof replacement project, including materials and services. Here are some questions to ask about an estimate:
- How much does the company charge for labor?
- Are there any additional fees or taxes?
- What materials are included in my price quote? If you want something else, will they quote you an extra cost?
- Ask to add all the extra services like old roof removal, cleanup, and insurance claim assistance.
Check With Your Insurance Company Before Signing A Contract
Check what your insurance policy covers. There may be some damages that your policy doesn’t include, and deductibles can also affect the total cost of replacing your roof. If you don’t understand it all, ask someone else to look at it with you before signing anything. At BRH Enterprises, our experts help every homeowner who needs help with understanding the insurance claim process.
Need Expert Advice On Roof Replacement?
A roof is one of the most important parts of your home, and it must be installed correctly to remain sturdy. You want to make sure that your roof is going to last as long as possible and that you will not have any leaks, cracks, mold, or roof breakdowns. For this reason, it’s important to take care of all the above things before signing a contract with a roofing company.
At BRH enterprises, we install the best roofing materials, and our team takes pride in offering the best customer service in Mayville, WI. If you feel that we are the right company to replace your roof, we would be happy to discuss your roof replacement project. You can contact us at (920) 249-4228 for a free consultation.